About the Committee on Professional Ethics (COPE)
The Committee on Professional Ethics (COPE) is responsible for promoting ethical conduct among computing professionals by publicizing the Code of Ethics and by offering interpretations of the Code; planning and reviewing activities to educate membership in ethical decision making on issues of professional conduct; and reviewing and recommending updates to the Code of Ethics and its guidelines.
- IEEE ETHICS 2016 – Presented a workshop, “Improve Professional Practice by Encouraging a Moral Engineering Culture”
- SIGCSE 2016 – Presented a pre-symposium event, “Integrating Computing Ethics and Professionalism into the Technical Curriculum”
- ACM Learning Webinar, Jan 2014 – “Computing Professionalism: Do Good and Avoid Evil”
- Chair – Don Gotterbarn [DL Author Page]
- Vice Chair – Marty Wolf [DL Author Page]
- Technical Coordinator – Bo Brinkman [DL Author Page]
- Secretary – Keith Miller [DL Author Page]
See the Governance page for a full listing of committee members.
There are several potential ways to get involved with the Committee on Professional Ethics.
- Join SIGCAS, the ACM SIG most directly involved with the code and with ethics in the profession.
- Submit feedback for the Code 2018 project, updating the ACM Code of Ethics and Professional Practice.
- Submit suggestions for the Integrity Project, or Ask an Ethicist.
- Attend one of our workshops on teaching computer ethics, commonly held at the SIGCSE and IEEE-ETHICS conferences.
- Or, if you have something else on your mind, Contact Us.